Monday, July 21, 2008

Birthday Weekend


Evan turned 8 years old on Sunday. He had a big weekend. Friday night his Dad took him and his friend Maddie (our neighbor who he plays baseball with in the yard all the time) to a Braves game. They played the Nationals and won by 1 run. Every Friday night game ends with a fireworks display, so that was fun for them. He absolutely loves going to see the Braves play and he was excited Maddie got to go because she loves baseball as much as he does and had never been to a Braves game before. Her all-star softball team won the State Championship. (-:

Saturday night he had a sleepover with his friends Cameron and Bo. They had a ball. First, we all went to the movies to see Space Chimps. I thought I wouldn't like it at all, but it was so cute I think we may buy it when it comes out on DVD. That was Chana's first movie. She was mesmorized! Aside from squealing and laughing at the big screen a few times, she was a perfect angel. I didn't have to leave the theater even once! She watched almost all of the movie, except about the last 30 minutes.

So, after the movie we were going to go out to eat at Cici's, but I asked them if they wanted to make their own pizzas at home. So that's what we ended up doing. After dinner, they did the pinata (you'll see what a wreck our garage is in the pictures!) They loved that, but I have to say I think they're about too big for pinatas because they're so strong it didn't last long enough! Then, I had filled about 100 water balloons for them to have a water balloon fight. The pictures didn't turn out too good, but they really loved that. Then I took them swimming for a little bit.

When we got back from the pool it was time to set up camp in the backyard. While the tent was being set up, they had a break dancing contest in the living room. You can't tell by the pictures because of the flash, but the lights were off and Cameron stood on the ottoman and had flashlights and was making them go all around like a disco ball. They all had flashlights for the campout, so they got creative!

Then it was time for cake. Evan picked the cake. It was an ice cream cake from Brewster's. It was chocolate marshmallow ice cream, a thin layer of caramel and yellow cake with frosting. It was wonderful!

After cake, it was time for silly string in the backyard...that was quite interesting. They loved that, too...because it's very messy!

Then, they were ready for the tent. Modern boys...took the portable DVD player in there and watched Evan's favorite movie, Kicking and Screaming (soccer movie with Will Farrell...hilarious!).

It was so humid and yuck feeling outside that around 12:30 a.m. they decided to come inside to go to sleep...I couldn't blame them, really! So, they watched an episode of Avatar and it was lights out at 1:00 a.m. I was hoping they'd just fall asleep, but no one was willing to give in and be the last one to fall asleep, so I had to shut it down...they were all sleeping within minutes!

So, it wasn't a fancy party, but I have to say I think it was one of his most fun birthdays! It was great...I had fun! He's had big gatherings everywhere from Children's Museums to Chuck E. Cheese's to Pump It Up, etc. and this was more fun to me. I guess it's his age. I think this is a birthday he'll always remember as a good one. (-;